Having travel insurance isn’t the most fun part of booking a holiday, but it should be an essential part of your getaway.
From single trip policy’s to cover you for one main holiday of the year or an annual policy to keep you covered on multiple breaks all year round, getting the right insurance it is a necessity when travelling abroad.
Price comparison websites like Give as you Switch have made it easy to find a great deal for travel insurance and gives you the ability to select the level of baggage, cancellation and medical cover you require. It’s important to understand what’s really included in your purchase. The headline limits of medical, cancellation and baggage are helpful starting points, but variations could occur and it’s important to always check the small print.
You should also check the quality of the insurance company and its customer services; if an extra £5 means you get better service in the event of a medical emergency abroad, then it is money well spent.
The best annual travel insurance policies include:
- Higher limits on your individual items of baggage such as valuables, cash or your passport
- Lower excesses or even a zero excess
- A longer number of days abroad per trip with annual policies
- Cover for business travel as well as personal travel
- Cover for car hire incidents
Cover you need when finding a single trip holiday insurance policy:
- Medical cover of at least £2 million
- Personal liability cover in the region of £1 million.
- Cancellation cover equal to or higher than the value of your holiday
- Cover is usually sold on a per person basis so you would need £1,500 worth of cover each