Congratulations to Action on Hearing Loss our charity of the month this February!
So far we have helped raise over £1,700 just by shopping, ordering or booking online via Give as you Live.
About Action on Hearing Loss:
With more than 1,000 staff, 1,092 volunteers and more than 20,000 members who support Action on hearing loss work across the UK. They reach out to and support people with deafness, tinnitus and hearing loss. Hearing loss can ruin lives including loss of jobs, relationships and can cause isolation and depression.
Action on Hearing Loss are working with a set of goals that they believe are achievable and will change people’s lives for the better. They support people with hearing loss and tinnitus by…
- Providing day-to-day care for people who are deaf and have additional needs.
- Supplying communication services and training.
- Offering practical advice to help people protect their hearing.
- Campaigning to change public policy around hearing loss issues.
- Researching into an eventual cure for hearing loss and tinnitus.
Communicating with someone who is deaf isn’t always difficult, but it’s important that you are patient and take the time to make sure you are communicating properly. This can be achieved by…
- Making sure you’re face to face.
- Speak clearly and don’t exaggerate your lip movements – this can make it harder to lipread.
- Use natural facial expressions and gestures.
- Don’t shout.
- If someone doesn’t understand, then try and find another way to communicate.
How can you get involved?
- One off donations
- Become a member of Action on hearing loss