Most men can’t resist a gadget, but it can sometimes be hard to justify the cost of some of the top-end items. That is why they make such great special-occasion gifts. What better way to celebrate a 30th birthday, for example, than with a techy present that you know the man in your life has been yearning for? Pick the right one and you can’t go wrong with a gadget gift, whether you choose something designed to be useful or just really good fun. Here are nine of the best ideas for blokes (and many women) in 2015.
1. Naim Mu-so Digital Wireless Bluetooth Music System with Apple AirPlay, £895 from John Lewis. This is like an audio version of the Swiss army knife. It’s a speaker system with connections for every occasion, a loudspeaker function and 450W digital amplifiers.
2. LG G Watch R, £129.99 from Currys. This is LG’s second try at an Android smartwatch, and it looks surprisingly good – in a rugged kind of way. It actually looks like a watch, and it has Snapdragon 400 processing power along with 4GB of storage.
3. Withings Activite, £320 from Selfridges. The Withings Activite is one of the most attractive wearables around. Its looks set it apart from the pack, as does its six-month battery life.
4. DJI Inspire 1, £1,789.95 at Simply Electronics. This is far from a cheap present option, but if your bloke is a drone fan, a DJi product is the only way to go. The Inspire 1 is fantastically futuristic with its arms made of carbon fibre which offer a 360-degree perspective and a 4K camera with an impressive nine element lens and 12-million pixel prowess.
5. Moto Hint, £75.49 from Amazon. You may not think of Bluetooth headsets as being cutting-edge, but this tiny little device is part of an entirely new breed. It interacts better than ever before with smartphones and even has decent sound quality to boot.
6. Nintendo New 3DS, £149.99 from the Nintendo store. Indulge the inner child of your friend or family member by investing in the Nintendo New 3DS, with its beefed-up processor, a bigger standard screen size and a better design than previously.
7. Bose QuietComfort 25, £269.95 from Bose. If you think that the Bose QuietComfort 15 are the cans to have, you obviously haven’t yet tried out the 25 versions. Boasting better Acoustic Noise Cancelling, awesome sound, lots of volume and the trademark Bose stylish design, these are the headphones to be seen in – or to reluctantly hand over to someone else as a gift.
8. UE Megaboom, £249.95 from the Apple Store. Packing NFC and IPX7 waterproofing, this Bluetooth speaker is a great Boom follow-up. It is louder and sharper, and its battery life is a very respectable 20 hours.
9. Nest Learning Thermostat, £179 from John Lewis. This is quite a practical gift, but it’s still a top gadget to own. It would make the ideal present for a money-conscious, energy-savvy person, as it can learn their movements and only heat their home when they actually need it. Now how clever is that?