As well as freezing cold temperatures, tighter-than-normal jeans and New Year Resolutions you (probably) won’t keep, there’s one sure-fire sign that January is here – Veganuary is back!
Whilst you may not want to make it a resolution, being vegan has never been so tasty – or so easy!
2020 has seen record numbers of people sign up to give Veganuary a go and it is believed there are over 3.5 million vegans in the UK.
What is Veganuary?
Veganuary is a campaign run by the charity of the same name. People who commit try and stick to a strictly vegan diet for the whole of January and, if possible, throughout the rest of the year.
For many, a love of animals is the catalyst, whilst others just want a New Year challenge to help them feel good about themselves, improve their health or try new foods.
Why should I give it a go?
- Weight Loss – According to a 2015 study, people on a vegan diet lose more weight than those on other common diets studied.
- Increased Energy Levels – Eat a mixture of foods and you could be boosting the nutrients, proteins, fibres and minerals your body needs for optimum performance.
- Be Healthier – In 2015 the World Health Organisation said processed meat ranks alongside smoking as a major cause of cancer, and a meat-heavy diet is proven to cause health issues such as high blood pressure and cholesterol.
- Save Animals – Charity PETA estimates that every vegan saves nearly 200 animals every single year.
- Save the Planet – Animal agriculture is the single greatest human-caused source of greenhouse gases, prompting the UN to call for a global shift toward meat and dairy-free diets.
But I love my food!
What if we told you that your favourite high street restaurants, such as Pizza Express and Nandos have expanded their menu to include more Vegan options? Or that Iceland have an award-winning vegan range including pizza? There’s no need to miss out and you’ll probably find new foods you love too!
How do I get involved?
You can sign up on the Veganuary website here. They’ll send you daily emails containing delicious recipes, meal plans and helpful tips, such as where to get your nutrients and how to stock your cupboards. You’ll also receive delicious recipes and easy meal plans to help you stay on track.
Plus – don’t forget – you can also raise free funds for the charity closest to your heart when you restock your cupboards with your Vegan-friendly goodies via Give as you Live Online. Shop at your usual grocery store online, including Sainsbury’s, Tesco, Waitrose & Partners, ASDA, Morrisons, Iceland and Ocado and raise vital free funds when you checkout! Prefer to shop in-store? You can do that too with our in-store grocery cards!