Contents Insurance for Students

If you’re a student and living away from home in rented accommodation, you should think about comparing policies from home contents insurance. A lot of university halls will already offer a basic level of insurance, but many students just don’t realise they’re covered. It’s also always worth checking if you come under your parent’s’ contents insurance policy before you shell out for one yourself.

Did you know…?

  • 31% of UK students take away belongings valued between £2,000 and £5,000+
  • One in 20 UK students fall victim to theft
  • Just 34% of UK students take out insurance

Contents insurance does exactly what it says – it insures the contents of your house in case of a break in.
The most basic student contents insurance will cover your belongings when they are in your house or halls and this will normally protect you from theft, loss, general damage, lightning and water damage.

You should take into account some important points…

  • The ‘excess‘ of a policy is the amount that you agree to pay to subsidise a claim you make, so it will be deducted from your payout when you make a claim.
  • Most of the time you can choose how much your excess is – the higher the excess you agree to pay, the lower your monthly payments will be.
  • Some things will cost extra to protect.
  • You don’t have to worry about buildings insurance.

Use a price comparision site such as Give as you Switch to get the right quote from various UK insurance companies. Even better, as well as getting a great deal, you’ll raise up to £12.50 for charity!

  1. avatar

    Tenants’ Insurance - Give as you Live Blog

    21 December, 2016 at 15:21

    […] If you’re a student? Check out our guide to insurance policies for students here […]

Comments are closed.