Insurance for learner drivers

Learning to drive can be exciting, but it can also be a stressful and expensive experience.

In our guide, we explain the different scenarios where insurance is needed for learner drivers and where you could already be covered!

Are you having lessons with a professional instructor?

In this case, you don’t need to worry about insurance as it will be included in the cost of the lessons, along with any fuel. But the Driving Standards Agency recommends that learners should practice for about 20 hours, alongside the typical 47 hours of professional to pass a test.

Practising in your own car?

You will need insurance. This can be in the form of a full 12 month policy, starting on your provisional licence and updating when you pass your test, or on a temporary/short-term policy, designed to cover you specifically while you are learning. Learner Driver Insurance is a great option for flexible, short term cover whilst you gain experience behind the wheel.

You will also need insurance if you are practicing in your mum or dad’s car. They will need to add you as a named driver, however there could be hefty fees involved – the extra premium could be high and any accident you have could invalidate the no claims bonus.

Remember, you must have ‘L’ plates on the front and back of the vehicle to show that you are a learner driver and learner drivers are not allowed to drive on the motorway.

An extra bonus!
Taking out learner driver insurance could earn you a discount when you take out a standard policy after passing your test, although you have to be prepared to stick with the same insurance provider.

Ready for a quote?

Compare standard car insurance quotes through Give as you Switch Today! With great quotes available from over 100 top UK providers you’ll get a great deal and raise free funds for charity at the same time!