September Is Blood Cancer Awareness Month
1 in 19 people will be diagnosed with blood cancer. In fact, it is the 3rd biggest cause of cancer deaths killing more people every year than breast or prostate cancer. Despite it being so common, a poll of more than 2,000 British adults published this week reveals that just 1% of people are "very confident" they could identify common symptoms of blood cancer, with over half the population not knowing any symptoms at all.
Blood cancer happens when something goes wrong with the development of your blood cells, causing them to stop working properly. This can stop your blood from doing what it would normally do to keep you healthy, like fighting off infections or helping repair your body.
So, what are the symptoms?
Blood cancer symptoms can be varied and often very vague. People can have just one or many of these before diagnosis – and in some cases, none at all:
- Persistent and unexplained tiredness
- Unexplained weight loss
- Unexplained bruising and/or bleeding
- Persistent infection
- Drenching night sweats
- Lumps or swellings in the neck, head, groin or stomach
- Bone/joint pain
How can I make a difference this Blood Cancer Awareness Month?
Blood Cancer UK is calling for people to 'Help Make Blood Cancer Visible'. Here are some of the ways you can help:
- Join the campaign on social media: #ThisIsBloodCancer and #BCAM2022 will be running throughout the whole of September. Find out more on the Blood Cancer UK website or follow their social media pages.
- Support Blood Cancer Uk via Give as you Live Online: You can raise FREE donations for Blood Cancer Uk just from your online shopping!
- Donate: Give what you can to help support vital research.
How can I find out more?
- Monday: 10am–7pm
- Tuesday to Friday: 10 am–4 pm
- Saturday, Sunday and bank holidays: 10 am–1 pm
What is Give as you Live Online?
Give as you Live Online is a FREE online fundraising platform that has raised over £24 million for UK charities just through online shopping. There are over 6,000 stores listed and over 200,000 charities available to support. Sign up, click through Give as you Live Online and raise free donations whenever you shop!
Offers, donation rates and participating stores are correct at the time of writing and are subject to change. Please visit the Give as you Live Online website for the most up to date information.
You may also be interested in...
Ready to get started?
Start shopping today - just choose a charity, enter a few details and you can be raising in minutes.