The school summer holidays are not that far away now, and you have perhaps already started making plans. Fingers crossed the sun will be out. If so, you might want to start thinking about investing a few pieces of UV clothing to keep those dangerous rays away from your little ones, especially if you are heading off on a beach holiday or plan to spend plenty of time outdoors. There are plenty of pieces out there that offer the perfect mix of function and fashion, and just think how nice it will be to not have to smear sun cream on at least a few centimetres of their squirming little bodies. Have a look at our ten top picks for swimwear for children that can be used both in and out of the pool.
- Platypus Australia swimwear is a great choice for both boys and girls. Expect to pay £21.95 for a cool boy’s sunshirt that offers an SPF of 50+, plenty enough to keep your youngster safe in the sun during a trip to the beach or your local paddling pool. It’s available for children between six months and eight years.
- For girls, the Platypus Sun Jacket is a versatile zip-down option that also offers ultra-high sun protection. Find it priced at £22.95 at House of Fraser.
- We just can’t stay away from this year’s Platypus range. Number three in our top ten is a pair of shorts that are so cool they almost seem too great to get covered in sand at the beach. Offering an SPF 50+ rating, however, means that the Boys’ Retro Car Swim Shorts are the ideal choice for coastal dips or even lazy days in the garden. Better still, they’re on offer right now at House of Fraser, where their price has dropped from £26.95 to £13.48.
- An all-in-one sun suit is a good choice for younger children, who need as much coverage as possible whilst still staying cool. It should come as no surprise that Mothercare has some great options, including the colourful Nemo Sunsafe suit, priced from £14. Little girls should love its floral print and Nemo picture, whilst you’ll appreciate its SPF 40+ rating and the back zip fastening to make it easy to get on and off.
- A Thomas The Tank Engine Sunsafe, from £15 at Mothercare, is a fairly safe bet for most little lads. It’s lightweight, comfortable material still offers plenty of UV protection, and its stripy design is funky and eye-catching.
- The Bluezoo Girl’s Pink UPF Dolphin Spotted Swimsuit is available to fit toddlers up until the age of two and is priced at a very reasonable £13 to £14 at Debenhams.
- The all-in-one option is not just for tiny tots, either. John Lewis has Sun Pro Suit in blue and pink to fit girls up to ten. Priced at between £18 and £20, it has full-length legs, long sleeves and a zip at the back for easy dressing.
- For fruity chicks, John Lewis Girl Fruit Print Rash Vest and Shorts Set, £20 to £22, is a great fashion option that provides plenty of coverage for girls as old as 12. The two pieces also make it easy to mix and match depending on the situation.
- The Lands End Multi Boys’ Short Sleeve Crew Neck Rash Guard Top is just £12.95 from Debenhams but still offers an SPF of 50+, meaning that it will block out around 98 per cent of rays. It comes in a range of colours and sizes up to 12 to 13 years.
- The F&F Coastal Beach UPF 50+ Rash Vest from Tesco is a great budget choice, costing between £7 and £8 depending on the size. It will fit up to aged 14 and boasts a colourful shark design.
Did you know that by using Give as you Live, every purchase you make online can raise money for charity? Click here to find out more >>