You may not even want to think about Christmas just yet, but you’ll need to if you’re thinking about travelling over the festive season. Flights and some of the best trips do sell out, and so leaving booking until the last minute if you have set dates in mind or you want to stay in one of the most popular destinations is not the best option. If you haven’t yet decided where you want to go, here are our top ten destinations for Christmas holidays to help get your travel plans under way.
1. Rome. Christmas is a great time to visit Rome. Not only is it quieter and more pleasant to walk around than in the summer months, but there are also plenty of Buon Natale events and activities to get you in the festive spirit. Visit the big Christmas market in the Piazza Navona to shop, enjoy a drink or just watch the street performers in action. You could also go to the Pantheon’s midnight mass or make a Christmas Day visit to the Vatican.
2. Lapland. It’s not the most original choice, but it can be one of the most magical. The kids will never forget their meeting with Father Christmas at the likes of the Santa Claus Village, whilst adults and children alike can ride on reindeer or husky sleds or enjoy a thrilling snowmobile ride. You might even see the Northern Lights.
3. Seville. If you yearn for a traditional Christmas of old, Seville is the place for you. There are traditional markets, nativity scenes, tasteful decorations and chestnuts roasting – and not an inflatable Santa in sight. You could fly out with British Airways on December 22 for just £52.
4. New York. Get a good deal on flights to New York through the likes of Skyscanner, and you’ll have more money to spend shopping in New York. It’s the perfect place to window-shop too or just enjoy the myriad of festive lights and decorations on show. Don’t miss out on the chance to skate the rink in Central Park surrounded by what must be one of the world’s most famous skylines.
5. Rio de Janeiro. Grab a Caipirinha and Samba to the Christmas beat with that world-renowned Jesus statue behind you. Fly to Rio and back with Air France from £1,081 on December 20, returning on December 27.
6. If you want to escape all the bells and baubles of the festive season, Bora Bora is the perfect choice. This Tahitian paradise boasts some of the most beautiful scenery in the world and is one of the best places on the planet to kick back and relax.
7. Go all-inclusive in Dubai with the likes of Emirates Holidays and you can spend your Christmas in luxury in a country where almost-bare Christmas trees, dry turkey and stodgy puddings seem a million miles away. Then hit the malls and buy yourself a treat – it is Christmas after all.
8. Havana. You could spend a week or so in an all-inclusive Cuban resort, but be sure to take a trip to Havana, one of the most wonderful cities in the world. Christmas is firmly on the agenda in this Catholic-influenced country, but it is a much more low-key affair than back home.
9. Tanzania. Who needs reindeer when you could have lions and elephants during a trip to the Serengeti National Park? You could even take a hike up Mount Kilimanjaro. Now that would be a Christmas to remember.
10. Bask in the warm sunshine Cambodia has to offer as you visit the amazing Angkor Wat temple, head to the coast at Sihanoukville or explore the beautiful cave temples of Phnom Chhnork. Start your search for UK to Cambodia flights on the Cheap Flights or Dial A Flight websites.